i’ve moved!


please visit my new site at www.livingwellspendingless.com



Tuesday, August 17, 2010

sometimes you just do the best you can.....

I get a lot of great deals when I go shopping, but sometimes there are things that I just really need that aren't on sale or that I don't have a coupon for.  In those instances, I just try to get the best deals I can and leave it at that.  Today I needed a few things for M's family birthday dinner tomorrow night & I just had to suck it up.  In order to save as much as possible, I bought mostly store brand items.  The steak, cucumber, & wine were all on sale, and I had coupons for the pineapple and the meat.  Altogether, I spent $17.50 on $24.49 worth of groceries, a savings of 29%.


And just in case you were wondering, here's tomorrow's menu (based on Maggie's favorites):

Chop Salad
Angel Hair Pasta with Tomato Sauce
Marinated Grilled Sirloin Steak
Homemade Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting


2 comments:

  1. The menu sounds delicious!! And you still saved a wonderful amount! $20 for all that is not that bad!! Since you bake a lot.. I would stock up on all those items when they have a great sale whether you have coupons for them or not to help lower the cost and diminish the *oops I need this* part.. That will help you keep your costs down when you do need to get some things that you do not have coupons for or are not on sale. I am starting to do that with coffee creamer since we use the publix creamer and sugar and those things are hardly on sale! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olenka, you are absolutely right about needing to stock up on those baking staples! I have been wishing and hoping for butter to go on BOGO for weeks now, to no avail! I've also been looking online for a good vanilla option--so far amazon.com looks like my best bet--and I think I am just going to have to buy flour and sugar in bulk next time I am at Sam's or Costco. My only problem with the wholesale stores is that they are both at least a 25 minute drive, so I want to make sure I am getting my money's worth when I go!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, give me some love! Your comments make my day and are truly the reason I keep blogging. I read each and every one and will respond to any questions as best I can!

 
Blog Design by: SeventyTwoBlogs.blogspot.com