i’ve moved!


please visit my new site at www.livingwellspendingless.com



Saturday, October 30, 2010

halloween weekend tricks & treats

Don't you wish Halloween was always on a Sunday?  I don't know how it is in your city, but there is so much fun stuff going on this weekend that it is almost hard to choose what to do.

I had a fun morning yesterday painting faces at Princess' class Halloween party. 
(Proving once again that my Klutz face painting book was one of the best purchases I've ever made.)

Shock of all shocks, she wanted to be a princess.  How novel.

She wasn't the only one.  So cute!

Trouble decided to do a little face painting of her own while trying on one of Sissy's old costumes.  She climbed up on the table and got ahold of a marker....

...then got mad when she couldn't get down.

Happy on the ground once more, she wandered off in search of more Halloween mischief....

....which came in form of the wipes container accidentally left on the floor.

Look at that concentration.

Finally trapped in her high chair and distracted by the colorful Halloween cupcakes on the counter, she refused to eat dinner, screaming for cupcakes instead.  This was the result.

Not to be outdone, Princess decided making a mess of herself looked like fun.

Happy to leave our messy children behind with the babysitter, Husband and I (AKA Dalmatian Boy and Fire Girl) headed out with friends to the Boo Ball, a fundraiser for the local Red Cross.

We had a blast.  And our friends looked great!

Jack Skellington and Sally

Father Uh Oh and his Pregnant Nun

Fred & Wilma

And it takes a very manly man to pull off a full dalmatian costume.  What a stud!


After a late night we were ready for a relaxing morning at home, so I treated the girls (and my studly puppy) to their favorite weekend breakfast:  Dutch Babies.  If you've never tried Dutch Babies, you definitely should.  Never have four simple ingredients come together so beautifully.  They are heavenly.  (Not to mention super easy.)


And for my Halloween treat, I am sharing my special Dutch Babies recipe:

Dutch Babies
1 stick butter
5 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1 1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  (I like to use my convection setting for more even & slightly faster baking, but that's just me.)  Slice butter into 4 chunks & place in a 9x13" baking dish.  Place dish in oven until butter is melted (about 5 minutes, but watch carefully.  Butter should be completely liquid but only barely browned.)  While butter is melting, whisk eggs for 1 minute.  Whisk in milk, then flour.  Remove melted butter from oven and carefully pour in batter.  Bake until puffy and lightly browned, 15-20 minutes for regular oven, 11-15 minutes for convection oven.  

To serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup.


Happy Halloween!


1 comment:

  1. Ruth you and your hubby look so cute in your costumes!!! And YES, those Dutch babies are AMAZING. Your blog is beautiful, and full of great information!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, give me some love! Your comments make my day and are truly the reason I keep blogging. I read each and every one and will respond to any questions as best I can!

 
Blog Design by: SeventyTwoBlogs.blogspot.com