i’ve moved!


please visit my new site at www.livingwellspendingless.com



Monday, August 16, 2010

creative cvs birthday shopping magic

I really needed to buy some more tissue paper this morning in order to work on the tissue "puff" ball decorations for Maggie's birthday party. (More on those later!)  I have been trying to find it on sale with no luck, and now it is crunch time since the party is only days away.  My choices were to a.) spend at least $5 in gas driving to the nearest craft store where with no coupons or sales, I would have to pay full price anyway or b.) go to the closest CVS, less than a mile away, and use coupons & ECB deals for other stuff to score cheap tissue paper.  I chose CVS.

I needed 10 packages (2 of each color) of tissue, which retail for approximately $1.79 each.  With tax, that would've come to $19.15.   I ended up paying $19.07 for $101.46 worth of merchandise (including the 10 packages of tissue paper), which was $0.08 less than I would've paid for just the tissue paper.  (And a savings of 81%!)

Here is what I bought:


Here is how I did it:

Transaction #1:
Blink Eye drops-$7.99 (on sale)
Gillette Pro-Glide Razor-$9.99 (on sale)
Purex Complete 3-1 Laundry Sheets-$5.99 (on sale)
Listerine-$2.49 (on sale--was supposed to ring up for $1.24 but I didn't catch that until I got home.)

Coupons Used:
$4 off $20 purchase CVS email
$1.50 off Blink Eye Drops
$4 off Gillette Pro-Glide
$3 off Purex Complete
$1 off Listerine

Total after Coupons (with tax): $13.99

Received $14.99 Extra Care Bucks (ECBs)


Transaction #2:
Zegerid-$9.99 (on sale)
(10) Emerald Peanuts 4.5oz-$1 (on sale)
1 Crest Pro Glide Toothpaste-$3.49 (on sale)
1 Glide floss-$3.49 (on sale)

Coupons Used:
$3 off Zegerid
$0.75 off Crest Toothpaste (made it $0.24)
$0.75 off Glide Floss (made it $0.24)
(5) $1.50 off 2 Emerald Nuts (made them $0.25 each)
$14.99 ECBs

Total after Coupons: $0.49

Received $12.00 ECBs


Transaction #3:
(10) Hallmark Tissue Paper-$1.49-1.79 each

Coupons Used:
$12 ECBs

Total after Coupons: $4.59


Sure, it was a little confusing and, with my screaming one-year-old and my I-HAVE-TO-GO-POTTY-shouting-3-year-old, more than a little chaotic, but oh, what a deal!  

I have to admit, though, I am a little miffed at myself for not catching the wrong Listerine price.  It was supposed to ring up at $1.24 (75% off), which would've made it $0.24 when combined with my coupon.  Instead, it rang up at $2.49, which made it $1.49 with coupon.  Still a deal, but not quite as satisfying.  

You tell me, should I go back & get a price adjustment?


No comments:

Post a Comment

C'mon, give me some love! Your comments make my day and are truly the reason I keep blogging. I read each and every one and will respond to any questions as best I can!

 
Blog Design by: SeventyTwoBlogs.blogspot.com