i’ve moved!


please visit my new site at www.livingwellspendingless.com



Friday, September 3, 2010

just one last quick stop at walgreens...

I thought I was done shopping for the week, but I realized this morning that I am almost out of eggs!  I knew they were on sale at Walgreens, so after I dropped off both C. & M. and it was down to just A. and I, I figured a quick little cruise around the store for deals wouldn't hurt.  They still had the free (after Register Rewards) vitamin supplements, Carmex lip balm, Breathe Right strips, & tampons deals going on.  All four items were surprisingly fully stocked, given that it is Thursday and they are FREE this week!  Maybe no one reads the last page of the ad.  Anyway, I also found Lemon Sunlight Ultra Concentrated dish soap (my favorite kind! yay!) on clearance for $0.50 each (normally $1.99), Tylenol cold medicine and Vicks cough syrup on clearance for $1.50-$1.75 each (normally $5.99-6.99), and Ultra Downy fabric softener (which I really, really needed!) on clearance for $1.39 (normally $4.99).  (Double yay!)

Here is everything I got:


Altogether, I spent $11.09 for $60.00 worth of merchandise, a savings of 82%.  (And we're now stocked and ready for cold season.  And I got fabric softener.  And I got eggs!)

I didn't use any coupons, so if you would like to try your hand at scoring some big savings at Walgreens, this is a good week to go.  I did need to do 3 transactions.  Whenever I have more than one transaction, I always politely say to the cashier, "Is it okay if I do multiple transactions?  If there is anyone behind me, I will go to the back of the line."  

Here is how I did it:

Transaction #1:
Bought: 
Irwin Hair & Nails
Total: $10.00
Saved: $4.99
Received $10 Register Reward (RR)

Transaction #2:
Bought:
Breathe Right Strips
Carmex Lip Balm
Walgreens Perfection Tampons
(1) Sunlight Dish Soap
Tylenol Cold Medicine
Total: $10.70
Used $10 RR from Transaction #1
Total Out of Pocket: $0.70
Saved: $19.21
Received $2,$2,$4 RRs

Transaction #3*:
Bought:
(2) Dozen Eggs
Downy Fabric Softener
Vicks Cough Syrup
Tylenol Cold Medicine
(2) Sunlight Dish Soap
Total: 8.17
Used $8 RRs from Transaction #2
Total Out of Pocket: $0.17
Saved $24.71

*Note that Transaction #3 can be pretty much anything you want or need.  I needed eggs and fabric softener, and the other items were on clearance but they are things I will use, which maximized my savings.  It would also be a good way to get some cheap diapers or pull-ups, since Walgreens brand diapers are on sale this week for buy 1, get 1 half-off.

Combined with my previous shopping totals, this week (Thursday, Tuesday, & Sunday) I spent a total of $78.21 for $355.46 worth of groceries and merchandise, an overall average savings of 78%.



And I've got plenty of eggs to last the weekend.


1 comment:

  1. just stumbled onto your blog and i think what you are doing is fabulous!!! My ex-husband and i did the same thing when we had money fights...we went to the fixed vs. variable accounts and I was in charge of the variable one. It made saving $ a game and the rewards were for me!!

    Looks like September is off to a great start so far!! Can't wait to see how well you do at the end of the month! :)

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, give me some love! Your comments make my day and are truly the reason I keep blogging. I read each and every one and will respond to any questions as best I can!

 
Blog Design by: SeventyTwoBlogs.blogspot.com